Okay, so I decided to finally get around to the front stairs. I cut out the old posts this morning and installed new, pressure treated ones. The old ones were rotting away on the bottom and had to be replaced. It was a good think the one step fell apart, otherwise I may not have seen the extent of the rot and not done this in depth of a rebuild. The risers were still in good shape, thankfully, so I just used the cut out posts as guides to cutting the new posts, and used a couple new carriage bolts to hold it into place. We had to twist them around a bit and add a couple of pieces of 2x4 spacers to get them just right, and for some unknown reason we also had to trim a little off the old railings to make everything match up correctly, don't ask me why. But all in all, it came together pretty well. The railing still seems a little rocky, but I'm hoping the news treads will help pull everything together. But we'll save that for tomorrow. The lawn still needs to be mowed before the sun goes down. Oh, and if you actually looked close enough to the photo and were wondering if that's a beer bottle on the right pillar, why yes, it is, how astute of you. Nothing to quench the thirst after completing project on a warm summer day than an ice cold beer.
Follow along as we restore this wonderful craftsman bungalow back to its original glory. We hope to learn a lot on the way, not only about this great American style - but also about how to do the work ourselves. It's going to be a long ride.